Re: MIPS (mt7688): EBase change in U-Boot breaks Linux

Am Do., 13. Dez. 2018 um 11:09 Uhr schrieb Stefan Roese <sr@xxxxxxx>:

> [...]
> >> systems. I found that this problem can be avoided (worked around)
> >> by not giving Linux the full memory (by using DT memory node fixup
> >> or mem= kernel cmdline). When reducing this memory by the memory
> >> used by U-Boot (stack pointer minus some KiB value as this is the
> >> "lowest" memory used by U-Boot), then Linux runs just fine.
> >>
> >> My first idea here was, that this issue is cache related (most
> >> likely I-cache). But all tests and debugging in this area did not
> >> fix this issue (even running with caches disabled).
> >>
> >> Finally I found that this line in U-Boot makes Linux break:
> >>
> >> arch/mips/lib/traps.c:
> >>
> >> void trap_init(ulong reloc_addr)
> >>      unsigned long ebase = gd->irq_sp;
> >>      write_c0_ebase(ebase);
> >>
> >> This sets EBase to something like 0x87e9b000 on my system (128MiB).
> >> And Linux then re-uses this value and copies the exceptions handlers
> >> to this address, overwriting random code and leading to an unstable
> >> system.
> >>
> >> So my questions now is, how should this be handled on the MT7688
> >> platform instead? One way would be to set EBase back to the
> >> original value (0x80000000) before booting into Linux. Another
> >> solution would be to add some Linux code like board_ebase_setup()
> >> to the MT7688 Linux port.
> >>
> >> Since I'm still no real MIPS expert yet, I would really like to get
> >> some advise here on how to best solve this issue. Maybe I missed
> >> something. Comments?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Stefan
> >
> > the relevant code is in arch/mips/kernel/traps.c:trap_init():
> >
> > Within the branch if (cpu_has_veic || cpu_has_vint) the kernel will
> > allocate memory for the exception vectors and resets ebase to that memory.
>
> This branch currently is not taken on this SoC (Mediatek / Ralink).
>
> > In the else branch ebase is statically assigned to CAC_BASE which should
> > resolve to 0x80000000 on Ralink platform. The ebase is only read from
> > CP0 for MIPS r6 CPUs.
>
> Without CPU_MIPSR2_IRQ_VI being set (as its currently the case), this
> is how this function is run:
>
>         if (cpu_has_veic || cpu_has_vint) {
>         } else {
>                 *** this is true for Ralink / Mediatek
>                 if (cpu_has_mips_r2_r6) {
>                         if (cpu_has_ebase_wg) {
>                         } else {
>                                 *** this is true for Ralink / Mediatek
>
> So in summary, ebase is not allocated but assigned to this value:
>
>         ebase = CAC_BASE + read_c0_ebase() & 0x3ffff000;
>
> which of course leads to this issues we observed.
>
> > So the ebase set by U-Boot shouldn't be relevant for Ralink platform.
>
> Why so?
>
> > More likely some code at 0x80000000 is overwritten when installing the
> > exception handlers because all Ralink SoCs except MT7621 have
> > 0xffffffff80000000 defined as load address. So adding something like
> > 0x1000 should fix your problem too.
>
> Hmmm, not sure that I fully understand this. Could you please explain

oh sorry, I misread cpu_has_mips_r2_r6 to only catch MIPS r6 CPUs, but
obviously it
applies to MIPS r2 too.

> > AFAIK the CPU probing should detect and set cpu_has_veic accordingly.
>
> Yes, I agree.
>
> > Maybe it's a bug by Ralink to not set this bit. I guess that's why a
> > platform could provide a cpu-feature-overrides.h. Or you could configure
> > CPU_MIPSR2_IRQ_VI as Horatio stated in his response.
>
> I just checked in decode_config3() and MIPS_CPU_VEIC is not set on
> this SoC (config3=00002420 MIPS_CONF3_VEIC=00000040).

If vectored interrupt handlers are working on Ralink platform, than maybe this
should be enabled via cpu-feature-overrides.h like the Lantiq platform is doing.
AFAIU this should increase interrupt performance.

> > @Paul regarding MIPS r6, is there some expectation of the bootloader to
> > set ebase to a reasonable value or to not change the value at all? Maybe
> > we need to fix U-Boot?
>
> Yes, some advise on how to fix this would be very welcome. I can easily
> add CPU_MIPSR2_IRQ_VI and send a patch for this as well.

I could also prepare a U-Boot patch to restore the original ebase value before
handing the control over to the OS.

--
- Daniel