Re: [RFC] Migration from linux-mips.org to kernel.org

Hello all,

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 07:42:07PM +0000, Paul Burton wrote:
>   2) patchwork.linux-mips.org could easily be replaced by any other
>      patchwork installation, and kernel.org has one.
>
>   3) The mailing list(s) are what I see as the biggest pain point, but
>      we could migrate towards kernel.org infrastructure for this too.
>      This may require me to monitor two lists for a while, but that's
>      fine.
>
>%
>
> So I'm considering asking for a linux-mips mailing list to be set up at
> kernel.org, with content from linux-mips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx archived on
> lore.kernel.org. MAINTAINERS would be updated to reference the new list,
> and I'd monitor both lists for a while until submissions to the old one
> taper off.
>
> None of this would mean linux-mips.org will go away - I have no control
> over that. It would simply mean that kernel development is no longer
> reliant upon it, instead being based around the kernel.org
> infrastructure which is well maintained and not our problem.
>
> Before I ask for the new mailing list to be set up, I'm asking here
> whether anyone has thoughts or objections?

This is now done - please start using linux-mips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx instead
of linux-mips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx. The MAINTAINERS file has been updated to
reflect this, so anyone using get_maintainers.pl should start to see the
new list once they update to a new enough kernel.

The list is being archived at https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mips/ - this
contains the history of the @linux-mips.org list, and new mail from the
@vger.kernel.org list going forwards.

Patchwork is available at https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-mips/

As I said before, I'm still subscribed to linux-mips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx &
I'll keep an eye on it for a while, so if you already sent a patch there
please don't feel any need to resend it to the new list - just use the
new list next time.

Thanks,
    Paul