Re: mt7621/mt7628 PCIe linux driver

On Sun, Oct 07, 2018 at 03:25:30PM +0200, Petr Cvek wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Petr,

> sorry for a late reaction and thanks for your input. It took me two
> weeks to get MT7628 ethernet driver to start working (so I could use the
> current kernel version).

Those are good news :-).

> Dne 23.9.2018 v 08:20 Sergio Paracuellos napsal(a):
> > Hi Petr,
> >
> > On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 11:06 PM, Petr Cvek <petrcvekcz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to play with mt7628 PCIe (and it's old driver mt7620), but
> >> the system keeps freezing. It is probably because of bus master access
> >> of my PCIe cards but I don't see any memory access controls for PCIe <->
> >> RAM in the datasheet. The same problem is with MSI. It seems the root
> >> complex supports MSI (it has an MSI capability field), but there isn't
> >> any mention in the MT7628 datasheet too. As it seems the MT7628 PCIe is
> >> based on MT7621 PCIe, I went for an MT7621 datasheet, but sadly in the
> >> datasheet the PCIe section is missing completely.
> >
> > AFAIK, MT7628 should be covered with mt7620 driver. The source code is in
> > arch/mips/pci/pci-mt7620.c. For initialization in really depends on
> > the "ralink_soc"
> > variable exported in arch/mips/ralink/prom.c.
> >

> I was able to fix some of the problems. But still there are still
> missing pieces.
>
> The PCI driver (from pci-mt7620.c) isn't working in the vanilla version.
> It has a lot of problems:
> - Wrong access to the reset register (the wrong writing function used)
> - IO access is not working at all. There is a function call missing to
> setting MMIO base. The indirect access base register has a wrong value
> and I've had to force code some other IOPORT related stuff.
> - Forcing BAR0 is irrelevant for a root complex and it interferes with
> kernel resources assignment.
> - Cards other than 01:00.0 will have no IRQ set (and the drivers will fail).
> - Some minor problem like using the mdelay vs msleep.

mt7620 driver is an old driver and it uses the PCI legacy kernel options to build
and correct compilation. So I don't know if you are just looking to the PCI_GENERIC
support in the kernel.

> > You have to figure out why and where is really freezing. Does a clean kernel
> > boots and success on setting up PCI? A 'dmesg' would be helpful.
> >

> >> Does anybody have a working MT7621/28 bus master setup or a more
> >> completed datasheet? I would like to get some information for fixing the
> >> mt7620 PCIe driver. It is possible the MSI/bus master is controlled by
> >> the undocumented bridge registers (in the pci-mt7621 they controls the
> >> manual oscillator settings, I've found a link quality register at
> >> 0x101490c4) or in a PCI config space of the root complex (around 0x700
> >> offset). If you have a working SoC with MSI/bus mastering (= mem access
> >> from card), can you send me the dump of there spaces?
> >
> > The datasheet for the mt7620 contains information about PCI registers.
> > Linux initializes the
> > pci topology but master bit of command registers for endpoints is
> > disabled and is mission of final
> > card driver to enable it in order to allow memory accessing to the card.
> >

> But even with things (above) in the driver fixed, there will be still
> questions for the documentation left:
> - No MSI support or at least documentation for implementation (I could
> do it myself probably). The MSI functionality is IMO required for PCIe
> hosts, the MT7628 root complex itself has MSI capability.
> - The 3.10 kernel from linux-mips.org had a support for spread spectrum
> and manual PLL setting (no documentation for these registers too).
> - No additional documentation for the interrupt of the controller
> events. It could be useful to have its behavior because the PCIe
> controller resets itself when it loses the link connection (and the
> mention of this behavior could be useful to have in the datasheet too).
> - Can the PCIe device/bus-master card access all 4 GiB of the MT7628
> address space? What about 64bit address access?
> - Does MT7628 support PCIe device mode (as observed from the hardware
> behavior, when it sets it's own config space to a device/wireless
> network class, from the residual mentions in the datasheet, from PCIe
> device oriented registers and from similarities with MT SoCs which
> support PCIe host/device mode)
> - No documentation if there are any PCIe resistive terminations on chip
> (I cannot get a connection without external resistors)
> - I would like to have the documentation of 0x101490c4 register as it is
> link quality oriented (which I've had to reverse engineer from hw
> behavior when I was searching for a solution to resistor termination
> problem).

I agree that the physical part of the PCI is not documented anywhere.
I think all of this support is reverse engineering from the mediatek SDK.
Maybe you can get better feedback from the mediatek guys.

> > Hope this helps.
>
> Well in a way it did ;-).

Good to know :-).

> BTW the idea about merging with MT7621 is from TODO file from MT7621 driver:
>
> https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v4.19-rc5/source/drivers/staging/mt7621-pci/TODO#L8
>
> ... and from that 3.10 kernel where all ralink/mediatek PCIe drivers
> were in a single file (it seems the controllers are really similar).

Since mt7621 is a staging driver it is not possible at all to use PCI_LEGACY in order to
get it mainlined with the rest of the kernel (with mt7620 together I mean). Anyway mt7621 has three PCI express controllers.
I sent some patches cleaning the PCI_LEGACY part (these have been applied):

http://driverdev.linuxdriverproject.org/pipermail/driverdev-devel/2018-August/124480.html

and there are still some series which are not applied yet (I don't have the HW and I can't test it by myself).
In case of interest see the followings:

Some cleanups and others:
    * http://driverdev.linuxdriverproject.org/pipermail/driverdev-devel/2018-September/125937.html

About device tree bindings: