Re: MIPS cmdline generation regression since 4.16

Hi Alexander,

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 12:06:35PM +0300, Alexander Lobakin wrote:
> Commit 8ce355cf2e38 (https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/arch/mips/kernel/setup.c?id=8ce355cf2e38afdb364d03d12b23d9cf44c3b7f1)
> has introduced a regression to cmdline setup.
> As mentioned in description, platforms usually call __dt_setup_arch() in
> plat_mem_setup(). Prior to this commit we usually got cmdline args from DT
> via this call to boot_command_line, and then the following part of
> arch_mem_init() could expand or override it according to several Kconfig
> options (CONFIG_MIPS_CMDLINE_DTB_EXTEND etc.).
> But since the commit, plat_mem_setup() is called after this procedure, so
> any __dt_setup_arch() calls will simply overwrite all that was done before
> (as it uses strlcpy() to fill boot_command_line, not strlcat()).
> Additionally, arcs_cmdline and boot_command_line are likely to be empty now
> at start of arch_mem_init(), because early_init_dt_scan_chosen() (or any
> fixup_fdt()) was not hit yet. This makes all the options like
> CONFIG_MIPS_CMDLINE_DTB_EXTEND useless and simply non-workable.
> The only way to restore old behaviour now is to call __dt_setup_arch()
> before arch_mem_init(), e.g. at prom_init(), which is rather illogically. I
> think there might be better solutions.

Yes, I started working on a fix & aim to get it resolved for 4.19. I'll
copy you on future submissions, and for reference here's the thread with
the initial fix I submitted:

    https://marc.info/?l=linux-mips&m=153668665809151&w=2

Thanks,
    Paul