Re: [GIT PULL] MIPS fixes for 4.16-rc7

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 11:36:29AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 3:26 AM, James Hogan <jhogan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >  arch/mips/lantiq/Kconfig        |  2 ++
> >  arch/mips/lantiq/xway/sysctrl.c |  6 ++---
> >  arch/mips/ralink/mt7621.c       | 50 +++++++++++++++++++++--------------------
> >  arch/mips/ralink/reset.c        |  7 ------
>
> Odd. This didn't match for me. It turns out that's because you have
> the patience diff enabled.
>
> Normally the patience diff generates moire legible diffs, but in this
> case the default diff actually seems better.
>
> You don't have to do anything about your config, I realize that some
> people and projects prefer patience-dff. I just found it interesting
> how *completely* different the diffs look. Normally the differences
> are subtler.

Indeed I do have patience enabled from long ago when the default diff
was probably showing some change unintuitively.

The only nice thing I suppose is that it emphasises the added __sync()
and its choice of code to show as moved is essentially unchanged, but
then again it doesn't match so closely how the author has described the
change...

Cheers
James