Re: Update PS2 R5900 to kernel 4.x?

> 4 aug. 2017 kl. 16:13 skrev Joshua Kinard <kumba@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> If I can find the time this weekend, and the power cord, I'll have to see if it
> works.  I want to say it might've taken a power spike and stopped turning on,
> but that might've been something else attached to my TV.  Thus far planning to
> try and chase down possible timer/RCU bugs in SGI IP27 this weekend, but we'll see.

You will (most likely) need a boot loader (e.g. Free MC boot) on a memory card.
I borrowed a “Swap Magic” dvd from a friend to install it. There are apparently
several other ways, including buying a preinstalled memory card. This needs to
be done once and is a small threshold to installing Linux.

I compiled the linux-dev project

    https://github.com/rickgaiser/linux-dev

which contains most if not all needed tools, including a fairly recent R5900
cross-compiler:

    % mipsel-linux-gcc --version
    mipsel-linux-gcc.br_real (Buildroot 2017.02-00008-g0de152b) 6.3.0

If your machine happens to be defective or incompatible, a great variation of
PS2 machines sell second-hand for EUR 25 or so. Most are compatible with Linux,
as I understand, but check the model to be sure. Later models have ethernet but
I believe all have usb so I suppose network and other things are doable on all.

All the best,
Fredrik