Re: QEMU Malta emulation using I6400: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c

On 05/06/17 01:12, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
>>  What's the effect on pre-2008 CPUs?
>  The same as with running legacy-NaN software on a 2008-NaN processor --
> by default the kernel will refuse execution of such a binary, or you can
> use the kernel options I quoted to change that, and likewise with the
> `ieee754=relaxed' option you risk incorrect results, including a possible
> crash.  There is symmetry here.

Ahh no worries… well, every *real* CPU I have, is pre-2008, the Yeeloong
being the newest of the lot (the machine was bought brand-new in 2009).

Looks like the `nofpu` route will be the best option in my case, even if
it means slower floating-point performance, the point of the exercise is
for package builds for my existing hardware which is MIPS-IV ISA level
at best.

(…And this is not something that is likely to change either, sadly ARM
has won the consumer development board market with devices like the
Raspberry Pi and Beagle Bone.  Imagination Tech are doing good things,
and 10 years ago I might've bought a board, but it's too late for me now.)

Many thanks for the pointers there.  I have some ideas now what I can
try next.
Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)