Re: Commit 10b6ea0959de broke qemu reboot/exit.

Hi Rob,

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 02:39:39AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> QEMU fails to reboot with current kernels, instead it hangs eating CPU:
>
>   # exit
>   reboot: Restarting system
>   Reboot failed -- System halted
>
> I bisected it to "MIPS: Malta: Use syscon-reboot driver to reboot"
> commit 10b6ea0959de back in September. To reproduce, build a kernel with:
>
> cat > mini.conf << EOF
> # CONFIG_EMBEDDED is not set
> CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y
> CONFIG_RD_GZIP=y
> CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
> CONFIG_BINFMT_SCRIPT=y
> CONFIG_MISC_FILESYSTEMS=y
> CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
>
> CONFIG_MIPS_MALTA=y
> CONFIG_CPU_MIPS32_R2=y
> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250=y
> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_CONSOLE=y
> CONFIG_PM=y
> CONFIG_PCNET32=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y
> EOF
>
> make ARCH=mips allnoconfig KCONFIG_ALLCONFIG=mini.conf
> make ARCH=mips CROSS_COMPILE=blah-
>
> And then boot qemu with a simple initramfs:
>
> qemu-system-mips -M malta -nographic -no-reboot -kernel vmlinux \
>   -append "console=ttyS0 panic=1" -initrd root.cpio.gz
>
> And then try to shut it down. Before that commit it did, after it
> doesn't. (I rebuilt qemu from git this morning and that didn't help,
> same behavior as last year's build. New kernel doesn't know how to tell
> it to shut down, old one did.)

I presume this is due to the following missing from your config:
CONFIG_POWER_RESET=y
CONFIG_POWER_RESET_SYSCON=y

The commit added these to the Malta defconfigs, but perhaps should have
selected them from CONFIG_MIPS_MALTA instead, as CONFIG_ARCH_EXYNOS
does, since its pretty core functionality that didn't used to be
optional?

Cheers
James