Re: Does the R10K family support the "wait" instruction?

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017, Joshua Kinard wrote:

> > If you have any documentation to indicate a MIPS II CPU to support WAIT,
> > I'm interested.  From all that I know the feature was introduced by the
> > R4600.
>
> One of my Google searches, using the keywords "mips wait instruction", has been
> returning search results from a Harvard computer sciences course detailing the
> "instructional operating system OS/161", which uses an instructional CPU that
> borrows heavily from the R3000 (which they dub MIPS-161):
>
> http://os161.eecs.harvard.edu/documentation/sys161-1.99.07/mips.html
>
> In there, they state:
> "The WAIT instruction has been borrowed from MIPS-II. This operation puts the
> processor into a low-power state and suspends execution until some external
> event occurs, such as an interrupt. Since the exact behavior of WAIT is not
> clearly specified anywhere I could find, the MIPS-161 behavior is as follows"
>
> So it could be that the instructor for that course simply got some wrong
> information, but good luck teaching Google that.  I figure once its spider
> crawls this e-mail in the archives, it'll further strengthen hits like the above.

 FWIW according to the MIPS IV ISA manual[1], which seems to be the most
comprehensive legacy MIPS ISA instruction reference, COP0 encodings, and
hence the WAIT instruction, have never been a part of any of the legacy
MIPS ISAs, they have always been implementation-specific.

  Maciej