Re: THP broken on OCTEON?

On 05/23/2016 08:20 AM, Ralf Baechle wrote:
On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 06:13:46PM +0300, Aaro Koskinen wrote:

I'm getting kernel crashes (see below) reliably when building Perl in
parallel (make -j16) on OCTEON EBH5600 board (8 cores, 4 GB RAM) with
Linux 4.6.

It seems that CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE has something to do with the
issue - disabling it makes build go through fine.

Any ideas?

I thought it was working except on SGI Origin 200/2000 aka IP27 where
Joshua Kinard (added to cc) was hitting issues as well.

Joshua, does that similar to the issues you were hitting?

There is nothing OCTEON specific in the THP code, or huge pages in general.

That said, we have seen other THP related failures, and have never been able to find the cause.

If someone can come up with a reproducible test case that triggers quickly, we can run it in our simulator and easily find the problem.

There are THP tweaking knobs in /sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage. If you reduce the time in khugepaged/scan_sleep_millisecs, it often makes things fail much more quickly.

David.