Re: Looking for an idea/workaround for using MIPS ioremap_nocache (__ioremap) in IRQ

On 3 March 2015 at 14:06, Sergey Ryazanov <ryazanov.s.a@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Once I've hit
>> BUG_ON(in_interrupt());
>> when hacking PCI drivers locally on MIPS board. I see the problem but
>> don't know the solution.
>>
>> 1) I think "read" and "write" of struct pci_ops should be safe to call
>> in IRQ handler
>> 2) In drivers/bcma/driver_pci_host.c we use ioremap_nocache
>>
>> This causes a problem for boards with 2 PCI(e) cards. The base address
>> for the 2nd card is
>> #define BCMA_SOC_PCI1_CFG               0x44000000U
>> which doesn't allow MIPS to use KSEG1.
>>
>> As the result forwardtrace looks like this:
>> 1) ioremap_nocache
>> 2) __ioremap_mode
>> 3) __ioremap
>> 4) get_vm_area
>> 5) __get_vm_area_node
>> And then we can hit BUG_ON(in_interrupt());
>>
>> Can you see any solution for this? Currently there isn't any mainline
>> code triggering this problem, but it would be nice to have everything
>> working anyway.
>>
> Why do you need to read the PCI configuration space in the interrupt
> handler? As you wrote, it uncommon that driver tries to do that.
> Usually the PCI configuration read/updated during device
> initialization stage (by the PCI core and by a device driver) and then
> you interact with the I/O memory and not with the configuration space.

This is what brcmsmac does. I copied this behavior locally to b43 when
debugging some DMA controller problem.

They do:
request_irq(pdev->irq, brcms_isr, IRQF_SHARED, KBUILD_MODNAME, wl)

And then the forwardtrace looks like this:
brcms_isr
brcms_c_isr
wlc_intstatus
brcms_deviceremoved
ai_deviceremoved
pci_read_config_dword(sii->pcibus, PCI_VENDOR_ID, &w);

--
Rafał