Re: ftrace function graph with static ftrace does not work on MIPS

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 09:33:44 +0000
Markos Chandras <Markos.Chandras@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> I had a look on
>
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/trace/ftrace-design.txt
>
> and section "HAVE_FUNCTION_GRAPH_TRACER"
>
> According to the sample code, first we check "ftrace_trace_function !=
> ftrace_stub" and if that's true, then we never check the ftrace_graph_*
> functions which is exactly what MIPS does. So the graph functions are
> not always checked. x86 seems to do something similar in mcount_64.S

Thanks, I need to update that file.

I don't test static tracing much as I feel it's overhead makes it
almost not worth keeping. I've been even thinking of nuking it, but I
keep it in because it's good for archs adding function tracing to get a
basic test working, as dynamic function tracing is a bit more difficult
to implement.

But yeah, don't go too much by that document. It is out of date, and
when I get time, I'll have to update it. I'll probably do that when I
bring powerpc up to speed with x86 (except for the fentry part).

I want dynamic trampolines for powerpc and such, and when I do that, it
will make all the changes fresh in my mind to go back and tackle the
design documentation.

-- Steve