Re: Single MIPS kernel

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 08:19:07PM +0100, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

> > > Another reason is that the protocol between the bootloader and the kernel
> > > varies by platform.  So you would have to have several different entry
> > > points, one for each booting protocol.
> > >
> > > I am not sure how the bootloaders would know which entry point to use.
> >
> > That's where I foresaw the needs for the ISA style platform probe right
> > at the kernel entry point before fanning out to a platform-specific
> > entry point.
> >
> > Since we already support compressed kernels I'm wondering if relocation
> > might also be performed by the compression wrapper along with the
> > hardware probe.  That would leave the vmlinux itself untouched and
> > the wrapper could be installed on the target.
>
>  Wouldn't it make sense to make a unified kernel virtually mapped?  That
> would avoid the issue with RAM being present at different locations across
> systems and also if big pages were used, that I believe are available
> almost universally across the MIPS family, any performance hit would be
> minimal.  There would be hardly any increase in the binary image size too.
> Run-time mappings such as `kmalloc' or `ioremap' could continue using
> unmapped segments.

I think some MIPS III CPUs were restricted to just 4MB max. page size.
NEC VR4xxx I think.  Still a pair would map 8MB which on the affected
small memory systems should suffice.  16MB, 64MB are more typical sizes.

R3000 is a different kettle.  To 4k or not to 4k is not a question ;-)

Now mapping the kernel alone wouldn't solve the security issue mentioned
by David.  The image would still lie around in KSEG0 / XKPHYS for whatever
wants to run over so that should ideally also be a flexible address.

Otoh the mapped kernel certainly would have the lowest size overhead.
I have faint memories of restrictions for TLB instructions or was it
TLB exception handlers into mapped space, would have to do some rtfming
on that topic.

Years ago I did test the impact of one less available TLB entry with
lmbench; the loss was around 2%.  That was on a CPU with 64 entries.

  Ralf