Re: Booting bcm47xx (bcma & stuff), sharing code with bcm53xx

On 26 August 2014 22:32, Hauke Mehrtens <hauke@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 08/26/2014 06:42 PM, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
>> 3) Above change (point 2) would require some small change in bcma. We
>> would need 2-stages init: detecting (with kmalloc!) bus cores,
>> registering cores. This is required, because we can't register cores
>> too early, device_add (and the underlying kobject) would oops/WARN in
>> kobject_get.
>>

> This sound good to me, but I still have some questions.
>
> Do you also want to change ssb registration?
> Is it worth the effort? I think MIPS bcm47xx will be EOL and replaced by
> the ARM versions completely in the next years. (I do not have any
> private information about Broadcom product politics)

ssb has its own hacks like having "struct device" static (I think it
was a big "no" from Greg when introducing bcma). ssb is already smart
enough to detect early boot phase and don't register devices then. I
think we won't need to modify ssb at all.
On the other hand I care about bcma, as it's used by PCIe devices and
will still be used on ARM SoCs.

> I think this will be reduce the number of hacks a little bit, but you
> still need a 2 stage init of bcma for mips SoCs, and I do not know how
> to prevent this.

I'm OK with two separated calls to the bcma to register it fully. Not
a big deal. We could also think about sth like a ssb_is_early_boot,
not sure about this yet.

--
Rafał