O32 FPXX ABI

Hi all,

I just wanted to bring to the attention of the list the O32 FPXX ABI
proposal:

  https://dmz-portal.mips.com/wiki/MIPS_O32_ABI_-_FR0_and_FR1_Interlinking

This is the proposal that I mentioned in commit 06e2e88292e9 "MIPS: mark
O32+FP64 experimental for now". The goal is to reduce fragmentation of
the O32 ABI whilst allowing use of 64b FP registers (Status.FR=1) and
the MIPS SIMD Architecture (MSA) which requires them.

It removes the need for the EF_MIPS_FP64 flag and instead produces code
which can safely be linked with existing FP32 binaries until such time
as a new FP64-using binary becomes involved (either by being the
executable or a linked shared library). That is, it preserves
compatibility with existing binaries whilst allowing a gradual migration
towards an FPXX/FP64 world. The proposal has been discussed on the GCC
development mailing list:

  http://gcc.1065356.n5.nabble.com/RFC-Introducing-MIPS-O32-ABI-Extension-for-FR0-and-FR1-Interlinking-td1013453.html

As it affects the kernel too, now would be a good time to raise any
comments or suggestions. I have written patches to implement the
requirements in the kernel (handling .MIPS.abiflags, currently emulated
UFR support, HWCAP flags) and will post them to the list once discussion
about O32 FPXX settles down, or sooner as an RFC if people are
interested in that.

Thanks,
    Paul