2GB userspace limitation in ABI N32

Hello

I have a legacy application that we want to port to a MIPS (Cavium)
architecture from a PPC based one.
The board has 4GB memory of which we actually need almost 3GB in
application space. On the PPC this is no issue since the split
user/kernel is 3GB/1GB.
We have to use the N32 ABI Initial tests on MIPS showed me the
user-space limit of 2GB.
We do not want to port the application to a 64bit

Now the question is: are there any workarounds, tricks existing to get
around this limitation?
I found some mailthreads on this subject (n32-big ABI -
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2011-02/msg00278.html,
http://elinux.org/images/1/1f/New-tricks-mips-linux.pdf) but is looks
like this is not accepted by the community. Is there any process
planned or made in this area?

Thanks

---
Ronny