Re: Is r25 saved across syscalls?

On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 03:30:08PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:

> Hi all,
> The kernel syscall entry/exit code seems to always save and restore
> r25. Is this stable/documented behavior I can rely on? If there's a
> reason it _needs_ to be preserved, knowing that would help convince me
> it's safe to assume it will always be done. The intended usage is to
> be able to make syscalls (where the syscall # is not a constant that
> could be loaded with lwi) without a stack frame, as in "move $2,$25 ;
> syscall".

Since there is no place where the syscall interface is documented other
than in the code itself, I've written a new wiki article

  http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Syscall

as start.  It's still lacking on the more obscure points but it at least
should have have answered your question, had it already existed when you
asked.

  Ralf