Linux-MIPS project (re)organization proposal

Hi all,

The Linux-MIPS project has not been very active during the last couple merge windows, this made me think that maybe our project model is not so well suited for handling all the patches coming through linux-mips, so here is a proposal of how I see things might be changed, highly inspired from the ARM community.

To help with the number of patches, we should create two groups of people:

1) people in charge of reviewing all the MIPS-related infrastructure, shared code, CPU-specific code etc. For this specific task, I was thinking about Ralf, David D. (CAVM), SJ Hill (MTI), Kevin Cernekee for instance. The idea is to have both enough reviewers and committers to push changes, and have some level of redundancy in case Ralf cannot submit the pull request.

2) people in charge of maintaining a SoC, who deal with more subsystems than just MIPS, and usually need general review, both from the "core" MIPS developers, and also other subsystem maintainers, but, in the end, can manage themselves a patch queue in a separate tree and just send pull requests.

Device Tree is now the standard for accepting new architectures/SoCs in Linux, and this usually demands more reviewers as well as good reactivity from the various maintainers, but in the end, there are just more patches being or about to be posted to linux-mips.

What do you guys think about this?
--
Florian