Re: SMTC support status in latest git head.

On 01/04/11 05:02, Anoop P A wrote:
On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 00:17 -0800, Kevin D. Kissell wrote:
Those interrupt counters show that IPIs are being taken everywhere,
though very few by CPUs 5 and 6.  If I understand the configuration
correctly, CPU 4 is a TC in VPE 1, and it's getting a reasonable IPI
Yes CPU4 is in second VPE

rate, *if* we're looking at a tickless kernel under low load.  But there
No it was not the tickless kernel.I had selected 250 MHz timer. can't we
expect IPI / timer interrupt for all the threads in this case ?.

In that case, you should expect a distribution of timer interrupts that favors the low-numbered TCs within the VPE, as you do in VPE0, and a distribution of IPIs that is sort-of the inverse, as you do in VPE0. But the low counts on VPE1 are indeed suspicious, as you note.

may be a clue there to part of your problem.  I have no idea why the
behavior would have changed from 2.6.36 to 2.6.37, but it looks as if
you're getting your clock interrupts through the MSP CIC interrupt
controller on VPE 0.  There's nothing symmetric for VPE1. The Malta
example code is perhaps deceptively simple, in that both VPEs have their
count/compare indication wired directly to the 2 clock interrupt inputs,
so that having both of them running with only a single set of irq state
just works.  I don't know whether the MSP CIC timer interrupt is a
In my case it is separate irq. MSP_INT_VPE1_TIMER (34) and
MSP_INT_VPE0_TIMER (25) are wired to CIC . CIC interrupt has been
connected to cpu irq 6.

I can reproduce cpu stall in VSMP mode If I don't setup VPE1 timer
interrupt . Don't we have support for separate irq in SMTC
implementation ?..

There are hooks for platform-specific SMTC support, which is implemented for the Malta in arch/mips/mti-malta/malta-smtc.c. See msmtc_init_secondary(), for example, where the clock/compare, profile, and IPI interrupts are armed for VPE 1, while I/O peripheral interrupts are inhibited.

gating of the VPE0 count/compare output, or whether it's it's own
interval timer, but I suspect that you may need to do some further
low-level initialization in the platform-specific code to set up an
interrupt on the VPE1 side.  I don't think the snippet you've got below
would work as written.
The routine which I copied works fine for VSMP mode .

/ # cat /proc/interrupts
            CPU0       CPU1
   0:        187        254            MIPS  IPI_resched
   1:         77        174            MIPS  IPI_call
   6:          0          0            MIPS  MSP CIC cascade
   8:          0          0         MSP_CIC  Softreset button
   9:          0          0         MSP_CIC  Standby switch
  21:          0          0         MSP_CIC  MSP PER cascade
  25:      37077          0         MSP_CIC  timer
  27:        188          0         MSP_CIC  serial
  34:          0      36986         MSP_CIC  timer

Do I want to change anything specific for SMTC ? .

If it works (which I doubt), then we can critique stylistic points like using

		if ((1==get_current_vpe())

Instead of the more readable and general

		if (get_current_vpe()>  0)

But I think you're generally looking in the wrong place. Look at the Malta code and see what's done where. The initial SMTC code had a lot of Malta assumptions in the main line that I pushed out to platform code in later patches. I can see how things could be made even more modular, but for the moment I think it's just that there's some stuff that ought to be done in a "msp_smtc.c" file that doesn't exist in 2.6.37.

            Regards,

            Kevin K.

If it's purely an issue with clock distribution on VPE1, then a boot
with maxvpes=1 maxtcs=4 should be stable.
Yes the kernel seems to be stable if I boot with maxvpes=1 maxtcs=4 .

/K.