The new "real" console doesn't display printk() messages like "early" console!

Hi,

I am porting MIPS Linux on a new platform and my kernel crashes after
console is switched from early console to the new real console (8250.c)
I see messages displayed using the new console like "Freeing prom
memory: 956k freed" (this is the last message I have) so the new console
is up and running.
My problem is that the new console doesn't display printk() messages.
The early console displays all printk() messages.

What do I need to set at compiling time that the new console to display
printk() messages like early console?

Thanks,
Andrei