Kernel is stuck in Calibrating delay loop

Hi,

I am porting MIPS Malta on a new platform and during the boot process
the Kernel remains in a infinite loop in "Calibrating delay loop ..." in
calibrate.c.
I checked and the timer interrupt which is supposed to be wired on h/w 5
interrupt (MIPS 7 irq) is not activated in MIPS Status.IM7 register.
Where in the Kernel the MIPS irq wired to the timer interrupt needs to
be enabled?  Can I use enable_irq()?
On my platform I don't have any 8259 and I am trying to use MIPS
Count/Compare internal timer for Kernel tick.

Thanks,
Andrei