Unexpected behaviour when catching SIGFPE on FPU-less system

I have run into some strange behaviour involving using the FPU
emulation software in the MIPS kernel when trying to handle
a divide-by-zero-caused floating point exception.

I have come up with a simple test case to demonstrate this problem.
--
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

void fpe_handler(int);

jmp_buf env;

main()
{
	double x;

	feenableexcept( FE_DIVBYZERO );
	signal( SIGFPE, fpe_handler );

	if ( setjmp( env ) == 0 )
	{
		printf( "About to try calculation\n" );

		x = 5.0 / 0.0;
		printf( "Value is %f\n", x );
	}
	else
	{
		printf( "Calculation causes divide by zero\n" );
	}
}

void fpe_handler(int x)
{
	feclearexcept( FE_DIVBYZERO );
	longjmp( env, 1 );
}
--

The program sets up to generate a SIGFPE when a divide-by-zero occurs,
rather than setting the result to infinity.  Then, I've created a

I have two MIPS-based systems, both running Debian Etch.  One of the
systems is a PMC-Sierra RM7035C-based system, which includes an FPU.  My
other system is a PMC-Sierra MSP7120-based system, which does not
include an FPU.  The RM7035C system is running the 2.6.34-rc6 kernel,
but the MSP7120 system is running 2.6.28.

When I run this program on the system with the FPU, I see the results
that I expect to see.  The program outputs:

    About to try calculation
    Calculation causes divide by zero

I see the same results when I run the program on an x86 Debian Etch system.

When I run the program on the system without the FPU, I see:

    About to try calculation
    Floating point exception

So, it appears that the floating point exception is not caught.
However, when I run strace, the last few lines of output are:

    old_mmap(NULL, 65536, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x2ace9000
    write(1, "About to try calculation\n"..., 25About to try calculation
    ) = 25
    --- SIGFPE (Floating point exception) @ 0 (0) ---
    --- SIGFPE (Floating point exception) @ 0 (0) ---
    +++ killed by SIGFPE +++

Running it on the system with the FPU, I see:

    old_mmap(NULL, 65536, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x2ace5000
    write(1, "About to try calculation\n"..., 25About to try calculation
    ) = 25
    --- SIGFPE (Floating point exception) @ 0 (0) ---
    write(1, "Calculation causes divide by zero"..., 34Calculation causes divide by zero
    ) = 34
    exit_group(34)                          = ?

After poking around for a while, and trying to account for differences
between the systems (endianness, FPUness, kernel version), I believe the
problem is related to the lack of FPU.  If I run the RM7035C with a
disabled FPU (kernel parameter nofpu), I see the same results as on
the FPU-less MSP7120.  So, I suspect this difference in behaviour
is caused by the FPU emulation software.

Now, I don't know if this is a problem, but it does seem strange.
My level of understanding of the FPU emulation software is very low,
so I'm not quite sure where to look.

This isn't actually something that I typically do.  I noticed this
problem when trying to understand why the Debian package "yorick"
failed to build (see
http://lists.debian.org/debian-mips/2010/04/msg00019.html).

I'd appreciate any insight that anyone can provide.  Thanks!

Shane McDonald