Re: Disable EARLY_PRINTK on IP22 to make the system boot

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 10:05:06PM +0200, Dmitri Vorobiev wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > * Dmitri Vorobiev <dmitri.vorobiev@xxxxxxxxx> [2009-11-19 18:56]:
> >>
> >> Never experienced anything like that, although I'm quite extensively
> >> using IP22 with recent kernels. Any details on the hangs?
> >
> > It doesn't happen on all machines.  It has been reported e.g. with an
> > Indigo2.  See http://bugs.debian.org/507557
>
> Interesting, thanks. Good to know that, since one of my machines is Indigo2.

I guess is depending on RPOM version and installed memory. I haven't
figured out exactly which parts get overwritten, but since we completely
ignore ARCS reservered memory and still use ARCS prom calls, it's not
a real safe game we are doing.

Thomas.

--
Crap can work. Given enough thrust pigs will fly, but it's not necessary a
good idea.                                                [ RFC1925, 2.3 ]