Re: [loongson-PATCH-v3 17/25] add a machtype kernel command line argument

On 21:08 Thu 04 Jun     , wuzhangjin@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> From: Wu Zhangjin <wuzj@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> the difference between yeeloong-7inch and yeeloong-8.9inch is very
> small, only including the screen size and shutdown logic. so, it's very
> important to share the same kernel image file between them instead of
> adding some new kernel config options. benefit from this, the
> distribution developers only have a need to compile the kernel one time.
>
> to share the same kernel image file between yeelooong-7inch and
> yeeloong-8.9inch, there is a need to add a kernel command line, here I
> name is machtype, it works like this:
>
> 	machtype=lemote-yeeloong-2f-7inch
> 	      company - product - cpu revision - size
>
> so, we can choose a suitable vga mode for the screen of different size
> by default via this kernel command line in prom_init, here exactly is
> mach_prom_init_cmdline in arch/mips/loongson/yeeloong-2f/init.c.
>
> the vga command line will be used later in the SMI video driver to
> choose a suitable screen resolution ratio.
>
> and also, we can get the true machine name via this kenrel command line
> argument.

I have tested this patchset on both fuloong 2f and 2e boxes.
It works well except for that duplicated #include's problem.

However, there is an annoying problem. The system type on these two boxes
has an "-unknowninch" ending, which does not make any sense at all.

So I made a patch on top of your patchset which makes kernel param
machtype=lemote-yeeloong-2f-7inch work as before, while on fuloongs return
system types like "lemote-fuloong-2e-box" and is less intrusive againt
linux-mips tree.

I will post this patch after I test the patchset on yeeloong 8.9 notebook.

--
Zhang, Le
Gentoo/Loongson Developer