Re: Bigsur?

On 2009.05.18. 18:13:35 Jon Fraser <jfraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think people that have them, have had them for a while.
>
> You can still get, I believe, the bcm91125 and bcm91250.
> http://www.broadcom.com/products/Data-Telecom-Networks/Communications-Processors/BCM91125E
> How you actually order one, I don't know.  I assume you have to go to a
> distributor.
>
> When I got a 1480 a year ago, it had to be built and took about 3
> months. The internal transfer cost was very high.  So I really don't
> think they are available anymore.  BUT, I don't work for that group.
>
> Are people just looking for eval type boards with MIPS cpus?
>
> Jon Fraser
> (Not offical statments for Broadcom)

<personal rant>

Some people like me are Linux distro developers -- quite frequently the only way to get our
hands on boards to be able to support a platform is eBay.

This creates a funny "disturbance in the force".  At one end we are the ones willing to spend
not only our free time but personal incomes on supporting some platforms, yet we are the ones
who have the hardest times making this happen.

Sticking to your company for example, I was willing to spend the money on a Swarm a few years
ago. Broadcom ignored my mails, simply as I was an individual who wouldn't order thousands of
CPUs, "just" that board. So it took me quite some time and luck to hunt down a BCM91125F with
all it's limits..

On the other end there are companies who did order Xk CPUs and people who have access to the
eval boards. Most of these people don't give a damn about anything we do or care for, and are
happy to finish work and ignore the boards outside work hours -- not that I blame them for
doing so.

This is all again the old tale of money and possibilities vs time and willingness.

</personal rant>

Imre