Re: [MIPS] Resolve compile issues with msp71xx configuration

Hello Florian:

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Florian Fainelli <florian@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Shane,

Le Tuesday 28 April 2009 16:48:52 Shane McDonald, vous avez écrit :

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 3:20 AM, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > If the rootfs really is in ram only (and thus you discard any changes to
> > it) you can just use an initramfs which is a lot simpler than any of the
> > cramfs and squashfs hacks and supported by platform-independent code.
>
> The rootfs is ram only with a union mount of a jffs2 filesystem to retain
> changes.  The target system is a resource-constrained router board, and we
> were trying to keep everything as small as possible.  If I remember
> correctly, this code originally came over from an internal 2.4 port on an
> even more resource-constrained platform; perhaps there are better options
> in today's world.

Initramfs is supposed to address that kind of issue, coupled to the use of
mini_fo/unionfs with a jffs2 partition for instance.

If you want to compress initramfs even more you may want to have a look at the
patch we maintain here:
https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/target/linux/brcm47xx/patches-2.6.28/500-lzma_initramfs.patch

Excellent -- it looks like I have a good path forward!  Thanks for the pointer.

> I will look into a better solution to this problem.  In the meantime, I'm
> hesitant to remove the existing code -- I think I prefer to leave it
> uncompilable until that solution is found.

It is likely to confuse people that may want to try get it compiling again,
removing sounds like a safe bet to me.

Based on your and Ralf's request, I'll prepare a patch tonight to get this compiling again.

Shane