Re: sparsemem support for mips with highmem

Christoph Lameter wrote:
David VomLehn wrote:

The virtually mapped memmap results in smaller code and is typically more
effective since the processor caches the TLB entries.
I'm pretty ignorant on this subject, but I think this is worth
discussing. On a MIPS processor, access to low memory bypasses the TLB
entirely. I think what you are suggesting is to use mapped addresses to
make all of low memory virtually contiguous. On a MIPS processor, we

No the virtual area is only used to map the memory map (the array of page
structs). That is just a small fraction of memory.

could do this by allocating a "wired" TLB entry for each physically
contiguous block of memory.
That would consume precious resources.

Just place the memmap into the vmalloc area gets you there. TLB entries should
be loaded on demand.

If I'm understand what you are suggesting correctly (a big if)

The cost going through a TLB mapping is only incurred for accesses to the
memmap array. Not for general memory accesses.

The bottom line is that, no, I didn't understand correctly. And a part of my brain woke me up a 3:00 this morning to say, "duh", to me. I hate it when my brain does that, but I think I actually do understand this time. Let's see:

For a flat memory model, the page descriptors array memmap is contiguously allocated in low memory. For sparse memory, you only allocate memory to hold page descriptors that actually exist. If you don't enable CONFIG_SPARSEMEM_VMEMMAP, you introduce a level of indirection where the top bits of an address gives you an index into an array that points to an array of page descriptors for that section of memory. This has some performance impact relative to flat memory due to the extra memory access to read the pointer to the array of page descriptors.

If you do enable CONFIG_SPARSEMEM_VMEMMAP, you still allocate memory to hold page descriptors, but you map that memory into virtual space so that a given page descriptor for a physical address is at the offset from the beginning of the virtual memmap corresponding to the page frame number of that address. This gives you a single memmap, just like you had in the flat memory case, though memmap now lives in virtual address space. Since memmap now lives in virtual address space, you don't need to use any memory to back the virtual addresses that correspond to the holes in your physical memory, which is how you save a lot of physical memory. The performance impact relative to flag memory is now that of having to go through the TLB to get to the page descriptor.

If you are using CONFIG_SPARSEMEM_VMEMMAP and the corresponding TLB entry is present, you expect this will be faster than the extra memory access you do when CONFIG_SPARSEMEM_VMEMMAP is not enabled, even if that memory is in cache. This seems like a pretty reasonable expectation to me. Since TLB entries cover much more memory than the cache, it also seems like there would be a much better chance that you already have the corresponding TLB entry than having the indirect memory pointer in cache. And, in the worst case, reading the TLB entry is just another memory access, so it's closely equivalent to not enabling CONFIG_SPARSEMEM_VMEMMAP.

So, if I understand this right, the overhead on a MIPS processor using flat memory versus using sparse memory with CONFIG_SPARSEMEM_VMEMMAP enabled would be mostly the difference between accessing unmapped memory, which doesn't go through the TLB, and mapped memory, which does. Even though there is some impact due to TLB misses, this should be pretty reasonable. What a way cool approach!
--
David VomLehn