Re: Debugging the MIPS processor using GDB

On Tuesday 12 August 2008 16:14:22 Martin Gebert wrote:
> > Finally, there's a program called gdbserver, which comes with GDB. If I
> > write a remote stub, do I need this program? Where should it be run? Where
> > should my program be run? Since the stub is a c file, but lacks of a main
> > function, how do I compile it?
>
> At least this I can answer. In short, you need to call gdbserver on your
> target machine in order to do remote debugging from your workstation.
> The first Google match for "using gdbserver" reveals this:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/gdb/server.html

  To the best of my knowledge, ‘gdbserver’ itself is not normally
 used with (E)JTAG probes; it's mostly for debugging userland
 code on a remote target machine whilst running ‘gdb’ itself on
 a local host workstation.

  I'm using the commercial FS² (First Silicon Systems, now owned
 by MIPS) EJTAG probe.  The local ‘gdb’ on the workstation talks
 to the local FS² software on the workstation, which talks to the
 probe (in my case, over USB, but there is also an Ethernet model).
 There is no ‘gdbserver’ in this setup per se, albeit I suppose
 the protocol between ‘gdb’ and the FS² software (which is called
 something like ‘jnetserver’?) might be similar/identical (I have
 no idea!).

cheers!
	-blf-

--
“How many surrealists does it take to   | Brian Foster
 change a lightbulb? Three. One calms   | somewhere in south of France