Re: Load Average >=1, mips kernel 2.6.10

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 01:51:29PM -0600, Mandeep Ahuja wrote:

> I have an embedded system thats has mips processor. I recently updated
> to Kernel 2.6.10 from 2.4.17.
> I was able to run the kernel and mount the jffs2 file system.
>
> When the system starts the load average is low like 0.02 but, after
> about 2 minutes it becomes 1.00 and as long as the system is idle it
> stays at 1.00. If the system is not idle it would go up to like 1.21 but
> eventually come down  to 1.00 but NEVER goes below 1.
>
> There is no application running on the system. Only the busybox. Top
> shows all processes sleeping.
>
> this is the version of kernel
> Linux version 2.6.10_dev-malta-mips2_fp_len (gcc version 3.4.6)
>
> Is there something holding the processor continuously? does anyone have
> any idea whats going on?.
>
> I need to figure this one out before I start my application on it!.

Usually the reason would be something like a process stuck in
noninterruptible sleep state.  That's status "D" in the ps output.  Such
a process can't be killed and generally if a process is in this state for
extended time this would be considered a bug.

  Ralf