Branch out of range issues

Recently a few people have reported "branch out of range" problems building
recent kernels.  One way to fix those - at the risk of causing considerable
collateral damage - is using -ffunction-sections.  I'm hessitating to make
a change like this so short before a kernel release since at this point I'm
not convinved that this is actually needed.  Anyway I'd appreciate feedback
on the problem.

Thanks,

  Ralf