early hang in 2.6.24 on au1550 (MIPSLE)

A few months ago I switched from 2.6.16.16 to 2.6.24 on an AU1550
(MIPSLE) system. I started rolling this out to more systems, getting
ready for a new software release and discovered that on fresh powerup,
the 2.6.24 kernel sometimes (1 in 10-25 power cycles) fails to start.
The bootloader (uboot) decompresses the kernel from a jffs2 filesystem
and then jumps to it, but I don't get any serial messages from the
kernel.

If I switch back to the 2.6.16.16 kernel, everything is happy. The
annoying thing is that I have been unable to catch the problem with
the JTAG debugger connected, so I'm not sure where it is hanging.

I've been looking at diffs in the arch/mips tree and nothing has
jumped out at me.   I don't think this is a hardware problem, this
hardware platform has been fairly stable and it works just fine with
the older kernel. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions where
I might look? Also, is anyone using 2.6.24 with a Au1550?

                       Thanks,
                       Clem