Re: Changing the treatment of the MIPS HI and LO registers

Richard,

 I do not feel like speaking for the whole MIPS/Linux community and
certainly not the maintainer.  I have thus added a couple of recipients to
the cc list as I fear gcc-patches does not reach exactly the right people
here.  Others may disagree with my thoughts expressed.

On Wed, 28 May 2008, Richard Sandiford wrote:

> >> I'm afraid they'll just have to use "x".  Although looking at it:
> >>
> >>   - delay.h is just doing common-or-garden multiplication, albeit
> >>     with optional R4000 workaounds.  Why not just do them in C?
> >>     Can't you rely on GCC to work around the R4000 errata, now that we
> >>     have -mfix-r4000?
> >
> >  Which C type is correct to access the high 64 bits of the 128-bit result
> > of the multiplication on a 64-bit platform then?  Please note the piece of
> > code in question does not care about what the low 64 bits are -- a C
> > construct that ultimately expands to a multiplication followed by an
> > "mfhi" would be perfectly fine here.
> >
> >  The workaround only came in quite recently here and could be avoided if C
> > code was used of course -- don't get bothered with it.
>
> After the patch, you can use:

> typedef unsigned int uint128_t __attribute__((mode(TI)));
>
> uint64_t foo (uint64_t x, uint64_t y)
> {
>   return ((uint128_t) x * y) >> 64;
> }
>
> This doesn't work before the patch due to the lack of a movti instruction.
> We have *diti3_highpart patterns, but it looks like they haven't been
> used since combine started checking rtx_costs.
>
> If the patch goes in, I'll add tests to make sure that this code
> continues to work without recourse to a libgcc function.  As a follow-on,
> I'll add proper TImode costs to rtx_costs, so that we take full advantage
> of the highpart instructions.  (This ought to avoid unnecessary moves.)

 OK, it is good to have a way to make use of some TImode functionality
64-bit hardware provides, but it still does not provide a clean solution
to the compatibility problem seen here.  While a construct like:

#if (__GNUC__ > 4) || (__GNUC__ == 4 && __GNUC_MINOR__ >= 4)
[new wonderful TImode stuff]
#else
[old compatibility asm crap]
#endif

will certainly work, it is as ugly as you can get.  I am not sure I would
be happy to see it in Linux, though obviously Ralf and the others may
disagree.

> >  Is there absolutely no way to preserve the current asm semantics without
> > complicating the internals horribly?  I could imagine GCC could use some
> > other constraints internally that would refer to the HI and LO registers
> > explicitly and "h" and "l" could only be defined for asms -- I am not
> > enough of a GCC expert here, so I don't know if it makes sense, but it
> > would seem a reasonable idea to me.
>
> I just don't think there is, sorry.  If you have:
>
>    asm (... : "=h" (word1), "=l" (word2) : ...);
>
> then there needs to be at least two separately-allocatable registers,
> each of which can hold word-sized values.  And if we have two such
> registers, the allocators will think they can use them for other things,
> including spill space.  Which brings us back to where we are now.

 I have just been wondering whether these can be defined as aliases to
halves of the "x" register or something like that.  Not as real registers
seen by the allocator.

  Maciej