Building current kernel for Qemu

I would like to build a current kernel for mipsel on qemu.  However it
seems that the qemu target was recently removed.

I tried building a plain malta kernel vmlinux, but there is no output on
the console when trying to boot it.  The Debian 2.6.18 qemu kernel seems
to work well though.

Do you have to do anything special to the kernel to run on qemu?

How does one go about building a kernel for qemu from current kernel
sources?

Thanks in advance for any insight into this,
David Daney