Re: Old Indy, 64-bit setup

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:

> > Just a silly question. Is there any working 64-bit kernel configuration
> > for my r4k 100MHz Indy? From time to time i compile another new kernel for
> > 64-bit... and see the thing dying. Recently it looked pretty well like
>
> your CPU needs a special gcc to avoid triggering 64bit CPU bugs. There
> are also some kernel workarounds missing, which are scheduled for 2.6.25.
> No idea about the gcc part.

 I have made suitable GCC packages available at:

ftp://ftp3.ds.pg.gda.pl/people/macro/RPMS/

I have just updated the archive and you need at least revision 5 of GCC
4.1.2 packages available there.  You also need at least revision 2 of
binutils 2.18 packages to complement your setup.  Pick whichever
architecture suits you (there are native packages for MIPS configurations
as well as cross-tools from i386 there) or alternatively grab the
corresponding source packages from:

ftp://ftp3.ds.pg.gda.pl/people/macro/SRPMS/

and build binaries yourself (that may require some trickery, but you can
also apply patches manually and use your usual procedure).

 Please note that the relevant kernel changes have only been tested with a
DECstation, which in particular means little endianness only.  You will
also have to add this fragment:

select CPU_DADDI_WORKAROUNDS if 64BIT
select CPU_R4000_WORKAROUNDS if 64BIT
select CPU_R4400_WORKAROUNDS if 64BIT

to the right part of the Kconfig file relevant for your machine.  See the
MACH_DECSTATION section in arch/mips/Kconfig for a reference.  Finally,
running the kernel from the XPHYS segment is not supported with these
workarounds enabled, which may worth noting for some platforms, though may
not necessarily be relevant for yours.

 I plan to update GCC and the associated patches to version 4.2 at some
point in the future, but I have not decided yet when it is going to happen
as I am going to stick with 4.1 for a while due to some other work.

 I'll be pleased to get some feedback and good luck!

  Maciej