Re: MIPS Makefile not picking up CROSS_COMPILE from environment setting

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 08:46:36PM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> I noticed that, unlike for other architectures like ARM  or  PowerPC,
> the  MIPS Makefile does not pick up the settings from a CROSS_COMPILE
> environment variable, at least not with many (all?) default  configu-
> rations.
>
> This makes no sense to me - is there an intention behind it?

There are four different tool prefixes possible for MIPS kernels,
mips-linux-, mipsel-linux-, mips64-linux- and mips64el-linux.  This bit
in the Makefile makes the kernel automatically pick up the right thing
if CONFIG_CROSSCOMPILE is set.

The idea of passing CROSS_COMPILE from the environment always seemed to
be wrong to me - I keep jumping between all sorts of weird different
kernel configurations so no single setting of an environment variable
would cut it.

What I'd really like to see is a properly working CONFIG_MYARCH option
selectable in Kconfig.  Then the makefiles should figure out if it's a
native or crosscompile and add the right tool prefix.  The user should
not need to know that sort of stuff unless he wants to.

  Ralf