Re: Which gcc version for MIPS?

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Günter Dannoritzer wrote:

> Can anybody give me some help in deciding what gcc version to use?

 Well, hard to tell probably: 3.4 used to be fairly stable, 4.0 -- less
so, 4.1 -- I am happy with it, but your mileage may vary, 4.2 -- I have
not tried.  Others may have differing opinions.

> Does the gcc version need to match a certain binutils version?

 For binutils your best choice is probably sticking with the most recent
release.  As of this writing it is 2.18.

> Another question I have about having a mips and mipsel toolchain. I am
> aware that some MIPS procecessors can change the endian-ness. In the gcc
> documentation I saw that there is a -EB and -EL switch to select the
> endianes. What is then the reason to have two toolchains?

 Well, it is a choice from two and you can have only one default.  You
would usually want to have the default set to the endianness you most
frequently use, so that you do not have to specify the switch; obviously
the same applies to a native MIPS/Linux toolchain.  Besides, historically
there used to be some bugs in the compiler's specs that made the selection
of the non-default endianness problematic at times.  They should have been
fixed by now though.

  Maciej