Re: [RFC] Add __initbss section

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Thiemo Seufer wrote:

> > Also not that with the current patchset applied, there are now 2
> > segments that need to be loaded, hopefully it won't cause any issues
> > with any bootloaders out there that would assume that an image has
> > only one segment...
>
> This breaks at least conversion to ECOFF as used on DECstations.

 Indeed, thanks for pointing it out -- I use ELF over MOP and keep
forgetting about people preferring TFTP, sigh.  I wonder whether `objcopy'
might be doing a better job than `elf2ecoff' these days though.  It may be
worth checking...

 It all boils down to padding out what cannot be expressed in a less
capable format after all.  That's what I did in `mopd' for ELF support too
-- holes between segments are transmitted as zeroes.  Though MOP clients
may actually support discontiguous images as each MOP "downline load"
packet has its designated memory load address included in the header (it
just shows how reasonable a bootstrap protocol it is!).

  Maciej