Processor cores for FPGAs... any recommendations?

Hi all...
	This isn't completely on-topic for this list, but I figured I'd ask
here since many of you do FPGA development on a daily basis -- some with
MIPS processor cores, or other embedded CPUs.

	This semester at university, I'm in a group working to produce a
FPGA-based device -- likely some NTP-synced alarm clock that scrolls
reminder messages.

	We've been looking around on OpenCores.org, and noticed the Plasma[1]
MIPS-1 processor core.  We're also looking at JOP[2] and OpenRISC[3],
but I'm liking the look of the Plasma core, since I'm already familiar
with MIPS machines[4].

	We've got use of a NIOS-2 Development kit[5], which is based on an
Altera Cyclone-II FPGA.  It's hoped we can just load another processor
core instead of the NIOS-2 softcore to drive the whole kit... Or would
we be better served getting another development board?  (Or just using
the NIOS-2 softcore?)

	Just wondering what peoples' experiences have been using this processor
core with Linux and/or µClinux?  Are there other processor cores I could
load onto a FPGA that people would recommend?
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter)              .'''.
Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer  '.'` :

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.

Footnotes:
1. http://www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/mips/overview
2. http://www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/jop
3. http://www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/or1k
4. Although I'm very much a beginner ... my point is I don't know the
others _at all_ ... well, I know Java, but not JOP.
5. http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-Nios-2c35.html