Re: [MIPS] DEC: Fix modpost warning.

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> >  It looks like a bogus warning -- I presume it comes from a reference from
> > "sercons" to serial_console_setup() -- but the driver is going away, so I
> > could not care less...
>
> Yes, the root cause was the reference to serial_console_setup.  It's hard
> to teach modpost that this reference is bogus so I fixed the driver instead.
> Other console drivers had the same issue.

 I would not call this change a fix -- the cure is worse than the disease.

 We should maintain a table of references to ignore for modpost then.  It
should be discarded together with other init data and given the number of
such references it would be rather minuscule compared to code held in
memory unnecessarily throughout the boot cycle of the system just to
satisfy a debugging tool.  Which is a very useful one, no doubt, but
please do not forget about the common sense.

  Maciej