Re: Fwd: [RFC] SGI O2 MACE audio ALSA module

Hi,

On 06/07/07, sknauert@xxxxxxxxxxxx <sknauert@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
First off, thanks for your work on this.

I tried to compile with 2.6.21.3 and Debian's gcc 4.1.1-27 cross-compiler.
The kernel compiled, but make modules failed with the errors below.
Something's definitely wrong with the typedefs and structs for use in a
newer kernel.

The compile errors is because ALSA have removed all the typedefs for
their structures in the header files, while my module still uses the
typedefs. As a short term fix grab include/sound/typedefs.h from an
older kernel.

I can see the case against other uses of typedef, but I really do not
see why typedef struct is so bad. seeing 'struct mything_s *foo;'
doesn't really tell you anything more about foo then 'mything_t *foo;'
does. If a typedef was something other then a struct then I would want
it to have an obvious name that said such, eg 'u64'. (I really don't
like 'size_t')

I also tried the linux-MIPS 2.6.19.7 and while the kernel compiles it
doesn't boot.

I don't know why you can't get 2.6.19.7 to boot, did you make sure
that CONFIG_BUILD_ELF64 is 'n'? That's been an issue that bit me.

At the moment my crossdev env is broken, but once I fixed it I will
get the latest lm.o kernel version and update the alsa stuff in my
module so that it will build.

Thanks for looking at the patch.

Thorben