Re: Generating patches and using checkpatch.pl

On Thu, 2007-06-28 15:37:06 +0100, Daniel Laird <daniel.j.laird@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I ran checkpatch.pl as Ralf suggested before.
[...]
> - Line over 80 chars
> - printk must have KERN_ debug level
> - must have a space after this (, or *)
> - use tabs not spaces
> - Do not use C99 comments.
> To name but a few
>
> My question is:
> If you do a patch and find all these errors is it expected that I fix
> all these problems, or I just make sure my changes do not make it worse!

General rules of thumb:

  * Keep the coding style of the file if you're only doing minor
    patching. Don't introduce leading whitespace, leading tabs before
    spaces. Maybe keep the comment and indention style.

  * If it's more like a rewrite, fix it entirely.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:                 Gib Dein Bestes. Dann übertriff Dich selbst!