Question About Timers for Performance Analysis on BCM1480/1250 Systems

All,

The following message thread is present in the Linux-Mips archives regarding the use of gettimeofday on Broadcom MIPS systems.  http://www.linux-mips.org/archives/linux-mips/2006-01/msg00144.html  The message thread specifically addresses the Dual-core Broadcom 1250 system, and the kernel version mentioned in the message thread is 2.6.12.  I looked at the files mentioned in the message thread in the 2.6.17 kernel, and the changes suggested for arch/mips/dec/time.c were present in 2.6.17.  However, the subsequent patches suggested in the message thread were not present in the version of the 2.6.17 kernel I checked.  We’d like to ask if the patches suggested in the message thread have been observed to influence performance numbers obtained by other Linux system developers for Quad-core Broadcom 1480 systems?  If so, do the Linux-Mips developers suggest that we apply the patches suggested in the message thread for our Broadcom 1480 MIPS specific Linux 2.6.17 system implementation?

Thanks,

Gary

--

Gary A. Smith, ABD PhD