Re: SGI O2 meth: missing sysfs device symlink

sknauert@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 08:01:53AM -0400, sknauert@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> >> I've noticed that besides kernel complied from the Debian 2.6.18, I
> >> can't
> >> get any other kernel (vanilla from kernel.org or the separate linux-MIPS
> >> repository) to boot on my O2.
> >>
> >> If you need beta testers, I can try, but it will take a day or so
> >> (compiling on the O2 is slow).
> >
> > Sounds almost like you're building an excessibly large kernel
> > configuration.
> > A realistic kernel config will crosscompile within a few minutes on a
> > modest machine such as a 3GHz / 1GB P4-class PC.
> >

> I could never get cross-compiling to work, so I've been doing all my
> compiling directly on the R5K 300 Mhz CPU in my O2. If there is an easy
> way to get this to work, I'd be very thankful for some pointers. Might my
> trying to compile on the actual machine be why I can't seem to use any
> source other than Debian's 2.6.18?

Should be rather straightforward:

- Add the sources.list line mentioned in the repository to your
  /etc/apt/sources.list, for debian/stable that's:

  deb http://people.debian.org/~ths/toolchain/current etch/

- apt-get update
- apt-get install gcc-4.1-mips-linux-gnu

- In your www.linux-mips.org source tree, compile with e.g.
  make CROSS_COMPILE=mips-linux-gnu- oldconfig
  make CROSS_COMPILE=mips-linux-gnu- all

Thiemo