Re: PCI video card on SGI O2

On Tue, 8 May 2007, Samium Gromoff wrote:
> At Tue, 8 May 2007 02:24:20 -0400 (EDT),
> sknauert@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> [snip]
> > 3) I tried a Voodoo 1, ATI Mach 64, S3 Virge DX, GX, etc., I actually have
> > a Millenium I but it won't fit in the O2.
>
> Are you sure those have/need not to have proper BIOSen flashed onto them?
>
> As i imagine, a videocard with x86 cr^Bode flashed into it is pretty useless,
> or worse than useless, on anything but x86...

You can run the x86 emulator to execute the BIOS code. IIRC, (some version of)
the X server has such an emulator included.  But that indeeds need `legacy I/O
port' access to work.

It's a pity the Millenium doesn't fit, as matroxfb is about the only
frame buffer device that can initialize a graphics card from scratch,
without help from the BIOS...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds