Re: Advice needed.

Hello

Le mercredi 31 janvier 2007, Sergio Aguayo a écrit :
> Hello
>
> I think you should check my webpage, www.amilda.org. It's a distro for
> other Edimax routers, based on the (also MIPS) ADM5120. While the kernel
> may not be what you need, the rest is quite the same. It may still be
> useful for you.

The board he is talking about is based on a rtl8186 which has few things in
common with admtek 5120?

> Regards,
>
> Sergio Aguayo
>
> > Hello,
> > currently i am "fighting" with Edimax BR-6024Wg, (Realtek-8186 based,
> > lexra-mips). I need an advice from a system developer/programmer:
> >
> > 1). When using original firmware (EDIMAX-developed Linux-mips), task of
> > upgrading firmware is done by web server binary: webs, which is GoAhead
> > 2.1.1, BUT Edimax didn't published "applets" -> C functions, that
> > implement real functionality.

This might be under particular licensing so that it has not been published. By
analysing the web uploadable image, you should be able to discover how the
web image format works. Probably : header, crc check, kernel, rootfs ...

> > 2). In /dev directory there is a block node with mtd name. I have cat'ed
> > it's contents to /web, and downloaded to PC. File seems to be raw
> > contents of Flash memory: 2048*1024bytes long. If I drop first 64kB and
> > truncate file to same length that Edimax-supplied firmware, files show
> > to be the same (using cmp). The first 64kB looks to contain among
> > others, variables used in BR system. There is originally an utility
> > "flash" to get/set variables.

There is probably some kind of nvram on this flash, to store settings. The
flash utility is probably checking crc on key+variable for instance.

> > Now the question:
> > When I will have a new firmware (image) will it be safe(!?) to do such
> > thing: (instead of using webs binary):
> > cat /dev/mtd > some.file
> > dd first 64k of some.file to other.file,
> > then download image (from PC) to a third.file
> > cat other.file third.file > /dev/mtd back.??????

I think you had better using dd rather than cat, because /dev/mtdblock are
block devices, and should be treated like that. If your image has a valid
format, i.e : the bootloader accepts it, unless you made important
modifications to the system code, it should at least be booting.

--
Cordialement, Florian Fainelli
5, rue Charles Fourier