init cannot spawn shell

Hi,

So the ">>>> request_module: runaway loop modprobe net-pf-1" problem is
now solved, I dont get the same error again --
Thank you Ralf, Manish and Steve for your prompt responses..

However, the kernel gets stuck now after mounting the filesystem and
freeing memory.  It does not execute the shell.  When I give a boot
argument such as init=/bin/sh, it attempts to kill init.

I m sure that the endianness is not an issue - everything is big endian.

I statically compiled a hello world program and instead of the rcS
script in the init.d directory, put in this entry in the inittab

sys::sysinit:/etc/init.d/hello

however, I dont see "Hello World" on the console! -- meaning the problem
is in userspace?

Any ideas on how to debug this situation?

Thanks,
Ashlesha.