Re: CFE problem: starting secondary CPU.

--- Ralf Baechle <ralf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The average firmware implementation contains alot of
> dark magic about
> hardware initialization.  Producing a decent
> replacement is not trivial.

Ok, does anyone here know if Voldemort is a good code
hacker? :)

(snip)
> How x86 or Linux centric is LinuxBIOS?  Makers of
> Linux devices want to
> support other operating systems as well.

LinuxBIOS is listed as supporting Linux (!), Plan 9
and Windows 2000. They don't support any of the *BSDs,
as there's apparently some BIOS calls in their
bootloaders and LinuxBIOS doesn't do BIOS calls. The
total intrusion into Linux is a 10-line hook and there
obviously can't even be that for Windows, so I think
most other OS' should be ok with it.

The supported motherboards include your usual x86
stuff (including Opterons, which I'm taking as meaning
it'll work on 64-bit systems) and PowerPC chips. The
FAQ also mentions the Alpha processor, but I didn't
see any examples amongst the listed vendors or
supported motherboards.

Jonathan