Re: Performance counters and profiling on MIPS

Hi folks,

I just got around to checking this thread...about 4 months late. Stefane
will release another version of the perfmon2 kernel patch in a few
days, he's been working with LKML on cleaning things up. The current
patch should go reasonably cleanly into the latest tree. The problem is
that he's maintaining the core patch against linux mainline, so there is
a bit of skew...be prepared to fix up some sys call numbers and some
includes, that's about it. There have been some issues with some
versions of linux mips not registering a cpu in /sys/devices, but that
may be fixed in the latest snapshots.

A part of this patch is the libpfm support library, which helps in
counter allocation amongst other things. It isn't necessary to use the
interface. It can also support the scenario where

The new release of PAPI will include support for this subsystem on
Linux/MIPS, but only for some MIPS64 processors. To add a new MIPS
processors should be fairly easy, as the performance hardware on these
chips isn't so exciting.

Regards,

Philip