changing IP address on mipsel-linux

I am not sure if this is the right mailing list (new here) but how would you change the IP address parmanently on a box having IDT C32H434 CPU ? There seems to be no /etc/init.d/network on this box. I could do it with ifconfig but I need to make parmanent change as well as effective right away.

The other question is when I change the IP address on the fly with ifconfig, is there a way to make the inet listener apps (that are running in the background) to autometically listen on the new IP address?

Thanks,

Ratin