Question on SMP warning in irq_cpu.c

Title: Question on SMP warning in irq_cpu.c

Hi,
   I have a question regarding the following warning in the arch/mips/kernel/irq_cpu.c.
   What is the reason for this comment and in case it is not SMP safe, what are the changes needed to make it SMP safe?
/*
 * Almost all MIPS CPUs define 8 interrupt sources.  They are typically
 * level triggered (i.e., cannot be cleared from CPU; must be cleared from
 * device).  The first two are software interrupts which we don't really
 * use or support.  The last one is usually the CPU timer interrupt if
 * counter register is present or, for CPUs with an external FPU, by
 * convention it's the FPU exception interrupt.
 *
 * Don't even think about using this on SMP.  You have been warned.
 *
 * This file exports one global function:
 *      void mips_cpu_irq_init(int irq_base);
 */
   Thanks.
   Raj